Saturday, February 2, 2008

Halloween Miscommunication

- Jessica -

On Halloween we were out front when a neighbor walked by. She casually asked Daniel if he was going "trick or treating"? He didn't know what she was talking about, so he politely avoided the question and we went on with our day.

Later in the day I heard Daniel say under his breath, "digger training, digger training." Finally he asked me, "Mom, are we really going to digger training?" I replied as many moms would, "Oh, that would be really neat, wouldn't it?!" (By they way, in our house, a "digger" is a generic term for construction vehicles - excavators, loaders, bulldozers, etc. - all of which Daniel has really liked for as long as I can remember!).

Still later in the day, Daniel asked Joseph about "digger training." Joseph was understandably confused. Daniel said emphatically, "Dad, the lady walking by our house this morning asked me about it! She asked if we were going to 'digger training!' Do I really get to go to digger training today??!!"

Trick-or-treating == Digger training

I hear the similarity! We laughed and he laughed, and we all agreed that getting candy from our neighbors was a good 2nd to digger training! ;-)

1 comment:

Mia said...

That's such a fun story! It's hilarious to realize what kids think is being said. I remember when I was little thinking that the song "When the Roll is Called up Yonder" was "When the Road is Called up Yonder" and I would sing my little heart out with those words...another one was that song "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" for the longest time I thought it was "Swing Low Sweet Cherry Apple"!