Monday, November 10, 2008

Conversations with Daniel - Fast-backwarding

Daniel likes to watch videos. His favorites right now are about fire trucks and ambulances - kind of like rescue hero documentaries for kids. We just implimented a new movie ticket system for Daniel. He gets four tickets each week, good for one half-hour movie. He can use up to two on any day, but he only gets four per week. He can bring me a ticket and say, "Is this a good time for me to watch a movie?" So far, this is helping to eliminate his consistent asking, "Can I please watch a movie?" and it is helping him make choices. By the way, if I tell him to watch a movie (which I occasionally do - right before company comes, when we are babysitting several children, etc) he doesn't have to turn in a ticket.

All that to say, I was putting in a VHS video for him the other day. We were talking about the numbers on the VCR moving quickly as I was rewinding. Daniel said, "Oh - if we were fast-forwarding, the numbers would go the other way. But since we are fast-backwarding, the numbers go like this!"

Fast-backwarding! What a great word! Makes total sense to me!

No comments: